EconPol Europe – the European network for economic and fiscal policy research - is a unique collaboration of policy-oriented university and non-university research institutes. Together, we contribute our scientific expertise to the discussion of the future design of the European Union. The network was founded in spring 2017, by the ifo Institute along with eight renowned European research institutes. Together, we are a new voice for research in Europe.
The founding members are:
- ifo Institute – Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich e. V. (ifo; Munich, Germany),
- Centre for European Policy Studies (CEPS; Brussels, Belgium),
- Centre d’Études Prospectives et d’Informations Internationales (CEPII; Paris, France),
- Institute for Advanced Studies (IHS; Vienna, Austria),
- Toulouse School of Economics (Toulouse, France),
- University of Oxford (Centre for Business Taxation) (Oxford, Great Britain),
- Università di Trento (Department of Economics and Management) (Trento, Italy),
- VATT Institute for Economic Research (VATT; Helsinki, Finland) and
- Centre for European Economic Research (ZEW; Mannheim, Germany).
Mission, goals and tasks
Our mission is to contribute our research findings to help solve the pressing economic and fiscal policy issues facing the European Union, and to anchor more deeply the idea of a united Europe within member states.
With our cross-border cooperation on fiscal and economic issues, EconPol Europe promotes growth, prosperity and social cohesion in Europe. In particular, we provides research-based contributions to the successful development of the European Economic and Monetary Union (EMU).
Our joint interdisciplinary research covers:
- Sustainable growth and ‘best practice’,
- Reform of EU policies and the EU budget,
- Capital markets and the regulation of the financial sector and
- Governance and macroeconomic policy in the European Monetary Union.
We will also transfer our research results to the relevant target groups in government, business and research, as well as to the general public.
Cross-border research in the public interest
The foundation of EconPol Europe was made possible by an initiative of the German Federal Ministry of Finance (BMF) to intensify and deepen cross-border research and cooperation in Europe. Given the current political developments in Europe and the world, BMF thinks that governments and the European institutions are increasingly in need of support in the form of analyses and innovative reform proposals.
The ifo Institute was commissioned by the Federal Ministry of Finance to set up this independent network devoted to research and to contributing its results to the economic and fiscal policy debate in Europe.